Kindergarten Here I Am! 

A newsletter from PA Promise for Children


Information about local human service agencies is updated and listed by area of need in local telephone books. These include comprehensive listings with phone numbers for most community resources available to the residents of Snyder, Union, and Mifflin counties.

If you have questions about community resources, please contact SUMCD at 570-966-2845 (Union/Snyder) or 717-242-3032 (Mifflin).

PA 211

FREE, accessible, 3-digit telephone number available to everyone. All residents have easy access to customized health, housing and human services information in one place. 211 ensures that callers are directed to the appropriate agency; reduces the frustration of making multiple calls; 24-hour service gets you the help you need when you need it. Dial 211 from any phone or visit the website.

Community Action Agency (CAA)

Union-Snyder Community Action Agency (CAA) provides self-sufficiency and stability services to low-income individuals including the homeless, the working poor, the unemployed, and those unable to work.Union-Snyder CAA provides families and individuals with training and support to reach goals related to work, life, and family. Community services include the following:

  • Information & Referral
  • Food Referral
  • Housing Assistance
  • Transportation Assistance
  • Energy Assistance
  • Family Development Assistance

For more information and a list of complete community services, call CAA at 570-374-0181, or visit their website at

A Community Clinic

Located in Sunbury, A Community Clinic provides help to uninsured individuals and families to get medical assistance, including appointments, medical testing, and prescriptions. For more information and qualifications, contact 570-988-1270, or visit


Apply online for food stamps, cash assistance, LIHEAP, health coverage, and more.

Pennsylvania’s Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP)

CHIP is Pennsylvania’s program to provide quality health insurance for children of working families who otherwise could not afford it. It is not a welfare program. Most children who qualify for CHIP get free coverage. Your kids can be healthier, and you can have peace of mind when you cover them through CHIP. For more information, call 1-800-543-7101, pick up an application from the SUMCD Community Child Care office in either Lewisburg or Lewistown, or visit

Pennsylvania Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP)

LIHEAP helps low-income people pay their heating bills through home heating energy assistance grants and crisis grants. You need not have an unpaid bill to receive home heating energy assistance.For more information, contact your local County Assistance Office; call the LIHEAP hotline at 1-866-857-7095 (TDD: 1-800-451-5886), Monday through Friday; or visit the website for more information.

Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)

SNAP has replaced the “food stamps” program. This program  helps individuals and families with little or no income to purchase food. For more information, contact 1-877-395-8930 or get more information online.

Susquehanna River Valley Dental Health Clinic
Mifflin-Juniata Dental Clinic

The clinic provides general dental health services to families and individuals in need. Patients with Access Dental are accepted. For Susquehanna, patients must be a resident of Union, Snyder, or Northumberland County. For more information, contact 570-286-7500. Visit the PA Dental Association Website for more information.

Vaccines for Children (VFC)

VFC provides vaccines to children who do not have health insurance or who have health insurance that does not cover immunizations. There are no costs for the vaccines. For more information, contact 1-877-PA-HEALTH (724-3258), or visit

Women, Infants and Children (WIC)

WIC is a federally funded program that provides healthy supplemental foods and nutrition services for pregnant, postpartum, and breastfeeding women and for infants and children under age 5. A family of four with an annual income of up to $39,220 can qualify for WIC. For more information, call 570-523-6666 (Union County), 570-374-8261 (Snyder County), or 717-248-5339 (Mifflin County), or visit

United Way of Mifflin-Juniata

Visit this page for various resources for children and families specifically in Mifflin and Juniata Counties.

Community Centers

  • Donald Heiter Community Center, located in Lewisburg, provides recreational and social activities. During the school year, the center offers an after-school program that includes time for homework, structured recreation, and free time. The center also provides a a program for “no-school days.” During the summer months, the center offers a summer day camp. For more information, call 570-524-5000, or visit
  • Buffalo Valley Recreation Authority offers an extensive variety of recreational and educational programs for children and adults. For more information, call 570-524-4774, or visit their website at
  • Middlecreek Area Community Center, located in Beaver Springs, offers programs for individuals of all ages. Their adult programs include basketball, volleyball, racquetball, and shuffleboard leagues, as well as tae kwon do and computer courses. They also provide many programs for youth, including basketball tournaments and leagues, after-school programs, band nights, gymnastics, lock-ins, tae kwon do, and a summer day camp. They also offer aerobics classes. Membership fees vary depending on the age of the individual, and they also offer family memberships of $40/month. For more information, call 570-658-2276, or see